Familia Dyrst

We have finished our time with MCC in southern Mexico and are now living with Martin's dad in Bluffton Ohio.

Monday, November 03, 2008

3 Readings

I think I'll just ramble on a bit.
First, thanks to friends who commented on a blog I wrote awhile ago questioning why being a mother is so hard for me sometimes. It's always helpful to share the struggles with a broader community. Since that post, I must say that I'm feeling better about my role as a mother. The other day I wanted to talk "strategy" with Martin. He reminded me that I have a lot of experience working with young children- "you know how to do this," he said. At the time it hurt my feelings, but later I realized it was the kick in the butt that I needed. So I'm trying to walk around being more confident in myself as a mother. Living into this role with confidence. As Gandhi said "we must be the change we wish to see."
So for now, I'm not trying to come up with a plan or strategize, but LIVE the way I want to LIVE. BE the mother I want to BE.
Still hard.
But easier too.

And this morning 3 readings showed up together. The first one is from Jan Richardson's "Sacred Journeys"
The Biblical text for this week is Luke 13:10-17 where Jesus heals the bent-over woman on the sabbath.
"......The story of Jesus' encounter with the bent-over woman is dramatic not only because of the healing that comes to the woman but also the healing that comes to the community. the community also receives Jesus' freeing touch as it begins to learn about the care God calls us to have for one another. With Jesus' touch of the woman's body, with her song of praise, and with the community's rejoicing, this story challenges us to consider how we participate in the diminishment of those around us and how we must provide the conditions for healing - physical, emotional, economic, relational - to happen for us all."

and "Discovering what constricts us may provide clues to how others are constricted / and how we may share in keeping both them and ourselves bent over."

This was/is powerful for me right now as I'm continuing to figure out how to balance work and home and to enjoy both.

I'm also reading "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. And feeling challenged. And thinking about how much confidence it takes to live as an "ordinary radical".

And finally, from "Prayers for a Planetary Pilgrim"
..."Fill up all that is lacking in me, so that I may be your humble servant, a co-creator in your endless drama of creation."

THIS INCLUDES MY KIDS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home