Familia Dyrst

We have finished our time with MCC in southern Mexico and are now living with Martin's dad in Bluffton Ohio.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Liz's Service Worker Report

okay, so i'll post my report too. it's a piece of writing about what's been going on....and so easy to copy and paste....



Assignment-related:

1. For each group you have worked with, what activities have you carried out? What has resulted from those activities?
During this reporting period I started working with the people who built dry latrines in Chiaucingo earlier this year to help provide follow-up and feedback. Together, with representatives from each group, we meet once a week and talk about any dry latrine issues. The reps are visiting each person in their group weekly and then bring that information to the weekly meeting with me. A way to give follow-up and stay in touch. As a result, I have witnessed how a group of people can come together and support and encourage one another.

I have also been working with the preschool and primary school in Chiaucingo to get their dry latrines up and running correctly again. This process has been slower and so far I have seen few results outside of the talking at parent meetings.

I continue to meet with the Women's Sewing Group in Zacango. They have been busy in their cornfields these months, so our meetings are sporadic. The results are that we are continuing to make a work plan so they can plan their time and continue to figure out what they are going to make, what market to plug into and how to plug into it.

Finally, I continue to work in the office, maintaining contact with donors, organizing the requests for our technologies, and looking for was to fund these requests. The results are that reports are getting written and we have a plan of action for the rest of the requests for our technologies.

2. Is your work progressing as planned?
Overall, yes. The work with the preschool and primary schools in Chiaucingo is slow, as the teachers went on strike in October. There are many times when people can't attend meetings because they are busy in their cornfields. It's just that time of year.

3. Review a highlight or significant learning in this reporting period.
There are a number of natural leaders within the group of representative who meet in Chicaucingo. It is exciting to witness how they helping each other out, and supporting one another. It has been rewarding to participate in interactive, cooperative games and talk about what we are doing and why. (For example, how the community, their families, their children, grandchildren, and the environment benefit from the dry latrines.) It feels like they "get it" and show this through their participation in the meetings and also with the home visits that they make to each member of their group every week.

Self-Development:

Reflect on your self-development goals and relationships during the reporting period. The following questions are intended to stir your imagination. Not all questions need to be responded to.

4. Regarding your self-development/learning goals for this year, how are you progressing? What have you learned that surprised you?
I continue to be challenged to maintain a healthy balance between work and home life, learning how much I can do, and what I need to say "no" to. Since my husband is working full time, that means I am supposed to work half time and be the primary caregiver to our two children. I really enjoy the work I am doing, both in the office and out in the communities. I see many ways to plug in. However, I need to first do what is best for my children. I am grateful for my teammates who are patient with me as I continue to discern how much I can actually do, and as I try to stick to my limits.

5. Review a personal highlight during this past reporting period.
During this reporting period, the Gro team has spent a significant amount of time talking and strategizing about our funding process and talking about how to involve the beneficiaries more. I'm excited about the coming months as we have come up with a new plan that is more in line with our philosophy of community development than the way we have been working this past year. Instead of MCCers filling out the applications for funding, representatives from each group will come to the office and we will work together to fill out the forms. At this point, this will primarily be my responsibility. I am grateful for such a supportive and encouraging team.

6. What have you struggled with and how are you responding to that?
I felt/feel caught up in the challenges of leadership transition. I spent a fair amount of time and energy on team dynamics and what I have called in the past "bridge work" during the month of August. I know that with time, ongoing communication and God's grace, we will continue to clarify what each other's expectations are and be a stronger, more coherent team in the end.

7. How do you encounter God in your assignment?
I have encountered God in the following ways: how our team pulled together during hard times in August - spending time talking to each other and showing each other that we care about one another. As a team, we are eating together once a week, having Bible Study together every week, and opening our weekly team meetings with a Biblically- based devotion/reflection. All of these are things I have wanted and worked for over the past 2 years. I give thanks to God for God's help, guidance and grace. And that I am here to be a part of this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home