Familia Dyrst

We have finished our time with MCC in southern Mexico and are now living with Martin's dad in Bluffton Ohio.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Update on the Dry Latrines for the Primary School in Chiaucingo

Awhile ago I posted something about "well it happened again, I went to a meeting and did nothing." And wrote about how the parent committee at the primary school in Chiaucingo. They know how to (many of them built one at their house with Martin in March), they just need money for the materials. When they asked if MCC could provide the materials and I hesitated, they quickly said that's fine, they would ask the municipal president for funds.

Well, to continue the story, on Sunday I went with them to Cualac to visit the municipal president Rolando. (PRI party for those who care.) There were about 12 of us all together. We rode in the principal's truck and when we got there, completely filled the president's office. The principal explained why there were there, one of the reasons being that they needed funds for dry latrines. He gave Rolando a list of materials (fortunately I had thought to print one up in the morning - it had MCC's contact info at the top of the page). "Mennonite Central Committee?" Rolando asked. The principal then introduced me, the president said yes, he's heard about the work we're doing, and asked if I could come back on Saturday to share more about what we're doing at a meeting he's hosting with other government organizations. He has invited all the mayors in his municipality to come and learn about what government organizations are around, and what they have to offer. I immediately accepted and looked at the parent committee, most of whom were grinning at me. I'm very excited to attend this meeting, as I too would like to know more about what organizations are in this area, what they are doing, and if there is a possibility of partnering with any of them.

Irma, the parent committee's president, started to explain how dry latrines work, using a small model I had brought along. "Oh, that's okay. I've been to Aquilina's house. I've seen her dry latrine and I know how it works" Rolando replied. Again, more smiling from the rest of us. And to end the meeting, Rolando told Irma to come back next Sunday to pick up the money for the materials!!! Yes, more grinning. (*Aquilina is a key promoter and community organizer that we work with closely in Chiaucingo. Her husband Placido makes all the toilets for the dry latrines.)

Needless to say, we had a great trip home, talking about dry latrines, cisterns, gardens, and how to work together to ensure the success of each.

To be continued after Saturday's meeting.

P.S. And....while I was waiting to catch a ride with the parent committee in the morning, the mayor of Chiaucingo, Claudio, invited me to come to a community meeting on Tuesday to talk about building more dry latrines and energy efficient stoves in Chiaucingo. So I will, and now we know who to talk to about funding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home