Familia Dyrst

We have finished our time with MCC in southern Mexico and are now living with Martin's dad in Bluffton Ohio.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Carrot Cake

Aquilina, Filomena, Bernadina and I met Thursday morning to bake a carrot cake together. It's been really fun for me. The group is small (technically, we work with groups of 6 minimum) but I've decided to let that go for now. Origionally there were more people. I often feel like I don't "get out" much, that the majority of my work is in the office, or visiting government offices, or having one or two meetings with groups to get projects started and then one or two meetings at the end of the project. This little cake/cookie baking gig gives me a chance to meet regularly with the same people (whom I really enjoy being with).
Filomena's birthday was March 22nd and she excitedly reported that she had made the milk sponge cake for her birthday party (see earlier post) and it turned out very well.
I couldn't stay to taste the carrot cake, but it sure smelled good in the oven - which Filomena was also proud to report that she now knows how to use.


Grinding the spices outside by hand. (Check out her shade - she patched different pieces of old clothes together - I just had to bring up Mennonites and quilts.)



Shredding carrots



Mixing


So while they were making the cake, someone turned on the t.v. to a cooking show (alsabordelchef.com) and I got interested in what they chef was making. We talked as a group about going to the computer lab sometime so they can learn how to access and download more recipes. Yum!

In case you're interested, here is the carrot cake recipe from Cook's Illustrated (thanks for introducing us to Cook's Illustrated, Steve!)

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4tsp. powder
1 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. clove
1/2 tsp. salt
6 -7 carrots, pealed (3 cups)
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil.

Mix dry ingredients together.
Mix wet ingredients together.
Add all together. Add carrots last.
Bake.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home