Familia Dyrst

We have finished our time with MCC in southern Mexico and are now living with Martin's dad in Bluffton Ohio.

Friday, April 17, 2009

The Roads We Travel





Wednesday I drove almost 2 hours through the mountains to meet with municipal president Francisco en Ahuacotzingo. (I didn't get lost!) I accompanied representatives from Rincon de Cozahuapa (they would like to build 61 dry latrines), and representatives from El Planchado and Vista Hermosa who want to build 13 cisterns between the two communities. It was an interesting day for me. It was my first time to meet this municipal president. I was in a room full of men, talking about poop and pee. Well, explaining how the dry latrines work. And talking about MCC, who we are and what we do. The president said he does NOT have any money now to help with the cisterns, but he will have money in October to help with the dry latrines. So the group decided to wait until October. We actually have enough funds right now to build all the cisterns. Any mix of funds helps our money reach further. So the cisterns will be build in May and ready to catch and store this year's rains.
President Francisco invited me back in December so we can do some budget planning for the following year.

Four of the guys from Rincon took me out for lunch. At lunch I met Teresa, a university student who has traveled to Cuba and each summer helps organize 23 to 30 people who go to Costa Chica, Guerrero for a month. They run a literacy and health campaign. She was very enthusiastic and excited to tell us about their work. Inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home